Thursday, August 04, 2005

I sing the National Anthem at BUCS game: August 5, 1995

This is kind of an excerpt from my Bucs Diaries series.
TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY: I sang the National Anthem at BUCS game, 8-5-95!!!
After I came back from California in 1984, the Bucs generally sucked. Sometime around 1985 or 86, I made a statement, "If I sing the National Anthem at a BUCS game, they'll never lose again." Some DJs like Russ Albums, Charlie Logan and Ron and Ron picked up on this, as well as Tribune sportwriters like (the late great) Tom Ford, Nick Pugliesi and former Tribune writers Chris Harry and Pat (Tyji) Yasinskas along with many others. Nevertheless, all through the 80s and the early 90s, I was not asked to sing the Anthem, and the Bucs kept right on losing. From 1984 through 1994 (11 years), The Bucs were 49-126, with no playoff appearances.
Then, in 1995, the Glazer family bought the team from the Culverhouses. Something changed.
My friend, attorney Joe Frank, contacted Rich McKay. Of course, I could sing the National Anthem at a BUCS game.
The first game the BUCS played under the new ownership was August 5, 1995 preseason game against the New York Jets. Immediately prior to the game, I walked out to the middle of the Tampa Stadium field and sang the National Anthem of the United States of America. It was the biggest performance of my life. I wore a sport coat, tie and dress slacks. As advised, I wore earplugs, to block out the echo. I started LOW. The third note, "say," should be the lowest note I can sing. I sang it by the book, with no extra melisma or whatever you call it when singers embellish the Anthem. I felt confident as I sang. After I finished, the crowd roared. Thank you. People told me I was excellent. I was very appreciative of the overwhelming goodwill.
Since 1995, when I sang the National Anthem, the BUCS are 85-75, have made the playoffs 5 times, have won 5 playoff games, including Super Bowl XXXVII in Sandy Eggo.
There is something of a move afoot for an encore performance. Stay tuned!