Wednesday, July 13, 2005

TYRONE GRANDERSON JONES

Tyrone "Ty" Granderson Jones
I'd say it was early 1982. Our band arrived at the club, the name of which escapes me right now, but it was in Studio City or Universal City or North Hollywood. It was a trendy place on Ventura Boulevard, which you've heard of in this song. I think we booked the gig by phone, so we had never been to the club. What should we expect?

Well, here comes the "manager," about 5 foot 6 inches of attitude. Maybe 5'5" or whatever. Without so much as a "How do you do," he says, "Put your shit over there. You don't get no fucking sound check. Play at 9:30. Don't fucking be late. You don't get nothing free. Don't mess with our shit. If you mess anything up, clean it up. Don't give nobody no shit. Most important, don't give me no fucking shit!" He was a pretty grouchy dude, and kinda scary! Well, ok, let's do what he says, and we'll try to make the best of it.

Before the gig, I put on my favorite t-shirt. It is orange, and it has the sleeves removed. It says, "Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 1981 NFC Central Division Champions." I go back, and encounter the grouchy "manager."

He breaks into a huge smile! He says, "Man, are you from Tampa? I'm from fucking Tampa! YOU MY HOME BOY!!!!"

Of course, I gotta get to know this guy! Turns out he's a struggling actor named Tyrone Jones, AKA Tyrone Granderson Jones, AKA Ty Granderson Jones, etc. He went to Plant High, FSU and Florida A&M. He studied under Lee Strasberg (Hyman Roth). He was a fuckin actor! The people you meet in LA! Now, you can get to know him too!

And of course, he loved our band, then known as "The Original Johnny Lyon and the Fabulous Famous Hitmakers," or TOJLATFFH. He became our band's official MC, introducing us at our shows.

Since those days, Tyrone has been in lots of movies and TV shows. I think he's proudest of his work in "Con Air." I really loved his brief but awesome role in "Harlem Nights." One of his most recent projects appears to be "Tapped Out."He may have two movies out soon: "Night Train," where Ving Rhames plays Sonny Liston and Ty Granderson Jones plays Elijah Muhammad! Night Train also stars James Woods! and, Short Fuse, where he plays "Big Paul!" He hangs with a rough crew or a tough bunch sometimes! And, it looks like Ty has got his own production company, and has written his own screenplay! It's called "Sidewinder," and it's set here in the Tampa Bay area!

Despite what you may see in certain places, I'm pretty sure Tyrone is about my age, if not a year or two older.

CHECK THIS OUT: WARNING, SPEAKER ALERT! LOUD BUT AWESOME !

I am trying to contact Tyrone by e-mail. You know, it looks like he's mostly called "Ty" now, although I always called him Tyrone. MUCH LOVE TO YOU, BROTHER TYRONE! (or Ty!)